The friendship between females have always been looked down upon. Jokes and memes on women have made people believe in the friendship between boys to be loyal and eternal whereas friendship between girls to be superficial and short-lived. However, these stereotypical memes miss out on the number of times women stand up for each other and support their kin. As films like 3 Idiots or Dil Chahta Hai show the everlasting male friendships, we are definitely lagging in women-centric films but it’s not non-existent. So here are some movies streaming on OTT platforms that you can binge-watch with your girl gang in a virtual night-in.
- Veere Di Wedding (2018 film)- Four BFFs and a wedding- Veere Di Wedding has all that it takes to call out patriarchy and uphold female sexuality. The story is about four best friends Avni (Sonam Kapoor Ahuja), Meera (Shikha Talsania), Sakshi (Swara Bhaskar) and Kalindi (Kareena Kapoor Khan) and when they meet for Kalindi’s wedding. The movie received mixed reviews from critics and was applauded for the performance of the cast.
- Sex and the City (2008 film)- In this context of female friendships, it’s a crime to not mention Carrie, Miranda, Samantha and Charlotte. The story is about 4 friends finding their way through heartbreaks, hardships and relationships in New York City. Based on Candace Bushnell’s book with the same name, this comedy-drama narrates the story of a girl gang who go through their share of heartbreaks and re-unions as at the end we see them sipping cocktails proving that all’s well.
- Aisha (2010 film)- This film portrays that meddling too much in your friend’s life can create havoc and it narrates Aisha’s attempts to find a suitable partner for her friends Pinky that puts her into tricky situations. But, just as two friends stick together, Aisha and Pinky have a fallout but support each other when needed. This movie is an adaptation of Jane Austen’s novel Emma.
- The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (2005 film)- Once upon a time summer breaks meant relaxing and spending time with our girlfriends. Yes, we actually can’t do that anymore but watching the adventures of Tibby, Lena, Bridget and Carmen as they spend their first summer away from each other, can help you with sweet reminiscence.
- Fashion (2008 film)- Aspiring model Meghna Mathur (Priyanka Chopra) leaves home for Mumbai where she finds a guide and a trustworthy friend in Janet (Mugdha Godse) who’s also a model. Post a brief fall-out, Janet readily helps Meghna to get back on tracks proving that friendship was priced above ego and competition. This experience helps Meghna let go of ego and help another model Shonali (Kangana Ranaut) when she’s is in trouble.
- Mamma Mia! (2008 film)- When Donna’s daughter Sophie decides to get married, her Donna (Amanda Seyfried) gets the perfect excuse to reunite with her old friends Rose and Tanya. The movie speaks about long-term friendships that make life worth living.