BEHAVIORS Sometimes, toxic relationships can be hard to identify. But there are some behaviors that clearly cross a line, like any kind of abuse, be it physical, emotional, verbal, or financial. Other signs are subtler-but can be just as problematic.
Be on the lookout for these under-the-radar BEHAVIORS signs that you are in a toxic relationship and need to GTFO.
1. If you feel they’re stripping away your self-esteem- Watch out for comments like, “I don’t like that dress”, “ Get a haircut” which clearly shows criticism. Any of these can be a ground for your relationship to turn toxic.
2. They’re controlling and excessively BEHAVIORS jealous- Anything out of balance indicates a problem. If you find your partner always being at you for inquiring your whereabouts or constantly complaining about you not being by their side, it’s time to snap yourself out of it.
3. Your partner is always offering ‘Constructive Criticism’ even when you don’t ask- If your partner is offering you a pizza and you push back yourself from that, ends him/her turning defensive saying they only trying to help; is certainly a red flag. As this is called establishing control over your partner.
4. Your partner is super competitive with you- A little competition is definitely healthy. But when your partner makes you feel guilty or bad for your achievements, you are gradually entering into the toxic territory.
5. The relationship is borderline abusive- It carries a minute difference between a toxic relationship and an outright abusive one. If the person you’re dating is going out of their way to make you feel trapped in a relationship or put you down, you’re probably dealing with a toxic relationship.
If you see any of the above-mentioned behavior in your partner, it is advisable to act right and snap yourself out of it. Because the longer you tend to stay in a toxic relationship with someone, the harder it would get to remove your mind and yourself from it. Instead, one should be with someone who makes you feel right and the best version of yourself at all times.